As discussed in my last post, I have way too much eyeshadow. I was able to bring my collection down to 53 palettes, which (with pressed glitters removed) leaves me with 720 individual shades – and zero that I’ve hit pan on.
I’m generally light-handed when it comes to shadow application, which I recognize is a contributing factor, but I truly feel like after 5 years of really being into eyeshadow I should have pan on a few shades by now. In 2018, I did a year-long One Week, One Palette project, but haven’t ever really dug in and tried to use a single palette or just a set of shades for any long period.
Here’s my rules:
- 5 shades will be in the palette at a time.
- The shades will be chosen at random, first randomizing the palette I choose from, then the shade within the palette.
- I can have more than one shade from the same palette within the project at once.
- I will not have two shades that are super similar at once. (Ex: two matte creams, two metallic browns that are the same depth)
- I will keep at least 2 mattes & 2 metallics at all times.
- I can rotate out a shade after:
- Hitting pan.
- It’s been in the project for 2 months.
- I will not count how many times I use each shade (because I’m lazy and it’s not that serious).
- I can use other palettes or shades in these palettes to supplement, but at least one shade from the set must be included in every eye look. (Except very specific special occasions.)
- I will review my progress monthly at the end of the month (since it’s July 30 when I’ll first use this set of shades) and will try to remember to post an update here.
- Every month I will also choose a Colourpop Super Shock Shadow to complement the quintet. (I’ll pick, instead of it being randomized.)
- I am allowed to change these rules whenever I want. 😀
Here is my first set of shadows:
- Too Faced, Grand Hotel Cafe – Gingerbread Cookie: Gingersnap (gold metallic)
- Colourpop x Disney Designer, It’s a Princess Thing: Poison Apple (metallic)
- Too Faced, Semi-Sweet Chocolate Bar: Peanut Butter (matte)
- LORAC, Mega Pro 4: Eggplant (matte)
- Colourpop x KathleenLights, Dream St.: Kaleidoscope
- BONUS SSS: KathleenLights (because the TF shade may need help, and this is a super similar shade match)
Surprisingly, I went exactly with the first 5 randomized choices, and this fairly cohesive color scheme came out! I know, I wouldn’t believe it if I saw someone pick it on YouTube, but you’ve got to trust me.
Thanks for reading! I hope you’ll come along with me on this journey to get more (obvious) use out of my eyeshadow collection!
If you’re doing a similar project, please comment with what shades you’re using or share the link to your blog post or video/playlist about it!
P.S. Here’s some referral links to some of my favorite sites. Use if you’d like!
- Rakuten (formerly Ebates) – This is a great way to earn cash back from online shopping (that you’re already doing) at many of your favorite stores! (Including Sephora & Ulta!) If you join through this link and make a purchase of $25 or more, you’ll get an extra $10 cash back and your own referral code, and I’ll get $15 as well.
- thredUP – I love using thredUP to clean out my closet and shop for new pieces at a discounted price – sometimes they’re even brand new with tags! When you join thredUP through this link, you get $10 to spend and I get $10 to shop after you place your first order.
- StitchFix – This is a great way to try out some new items for your closet, without the hassle of going to the stores and the bonus of a personal stylist. If you sign up with this link, you’ll get a FREE styling fee (usually $20) on your first Fix, and I’ll get $25 credit once it ships.